Just beyond the heart of the downtown area, a family-owned business has been operating from its original location since its founders came to the Greater Flint are in 1916. Most observers would assume that any business starting about that time would be tied to the booming automobile factories, but this operation contributed not only to the building of Flint's auto manufacturing prominence but to the overall growth of this area as well.
Holding the distinction of being the oldest lumber yard in Genesee County, Michigan Lumber Co. is continuing to operate under the philosophies established by their forefathers to give their established customers the finest quality lumber products with an underscore of premier service by an exceptionally experienced staff. Situated at 1919 Clifford Street near the intersection of Saginaw and 12th St., this full-line lumber supply house is currently in the working hands of third and fourth generation family members.
Michigan Lumber is very proud to be in a position to carry on the traditions set forth by their ancestors and enjoys reflecting on the origins of their family business. Nel Olson landed on American shores from Sweden in the late 1800′s, he was greeted by another fellow countryman who encouraged him and other Swedes to go to Michigan to work in the fledgling logging industry. In those days there wasn't a source to buy lumber, so there was a desperate need for people to log the wood, mill it, then cut it to needed specifications.
Nel eventually established and successfully operated a mill in the Manistee area with the help of his three sons Philip, Anton and Victor. In 1914 he decided to send them to Flint with the hopes of starting a lumber business. With the construction of factories and housing all throughout the area, there was a natural, strong demand for building supplies and service.
The Olson brothers found an existing lumber supply business that was operated by the Holihan family under the name of Michigan Cedar and Pole Company. They managed to raise the required capital and in 1916 incorporated their new business under the name of Michigan Lumber and Fuel Company was born.
The Olson's diligently worked to supply the building needs of the Flint community and firmly implanted their reputation of delivering the best quality products backed up by the best available service. Since then, Michigan Lumber has continued the Olson's tradition within the community and in accordance with the staunch work ethic instilled by the parents and grandparents, the yard has positioned itself to be the area's premier lumber yard for years to come.
In addition to our residential and commercial customer base, Michigan Lumber specializes in custom millwork. Any type of customized, one-of-a-kind woodwork, from mouldings to cabinets to an exotic archway, is made in our on-premise mill. Some of our clientele includes Madonna college, Mott College, University of Michigan Flint, Kettering College, downtown Flint's new restaurants and businesses, Flint State Office Building, Flint Institute of Arts, McCree Building, and many of the ornate churches and colleges in the area.